We are a community of professional educators. However, one can never be too safe. Please take time to review the following safety guidelines.
- Read profiles thoroughly before selecting a mentor or mentee
- When posting your profile, do not include personal information. Include your credentials, certification, experience, expertise and any other information that will give viewers a snapshot of who you are professionally.
- Check and verify state certification and credentials by logging onto http://www2.ed.gov/about/contacts/state/index.html
- Read reviews and comments posted by other members
- Conduct an independent background check
- Communicate and send written messages and responses through the site via the workspace.
- Meet in a public setting
- Stick to your meeting place plans; don’t veer off-course.
- Remember, you would not allow a stranger into your home. Do not allow internet strangers either.
FERPA Laws – Download Handout
FERPA Security Checklist – Download Checklist